Friday 7 May 2010

(art) Community Matters

 It's frustrating.

When you are on a very expensive Master, you have to keep a job to carry on; and, if that job is art-related and you do like it, things get even more complicated for your studies.

In short: when I am at work I can't be around to help for the show, and so are some other curators. Fran and Will, our handy ones, are doing their best to get everything ready for the two days installation next week (and I will definitely keep you posted on that), but the truth is that there aren't enough technicians around to build, saw, glue, cut, staple, etc. because they are all busy for the upcoming show the Fine Arts students will have at the end of the academic year, meaning June. When you are organising a show, you feel like you're the only one on earth doing so. In this case, waking up and DIY are essential.

Well, I guess we were in trouble. Silvia's work was due to be ready yesterday, with the panel glued and ready to be sprayed together with onehundredandsixty switches. Instead, we're running a little late on schedule, which never is a good thing because I am dead sure we'll have more issues during installation. Then, what? 

Ah, let me tell you about the small art world: a willing extra hand is always there. 
Yesterday, Silvia and I were having this conversation:

Si - We would really need an extra hand...
sy - I know... Actually, a friend of mine sent me an email the other day recommending someone who just moved to London...
Si - Oh, yeah?
sy - And I made contact with him: he was very kind and said to call him if we ever needed an hand.
Si - Ah, maybe we can try... Otherwise, a friend of mine, too, wanted to introduce me to a friend of his who can be of help here... His name was... can't remember. What's your guy's name?
sy - D.V.
Si - (stares)
sy - What??
Si - (laughs hysterically) That's him!
sy - No way!
Si - Yes!

They say London is a big, alienating metropoli. I don't quite agree.
It is actually difficult to see friends unless you make an early appointment but, in the end, you can just bump into people by chance. The strong network in the often-neglected-by-the-system art world has always amazed me, there always is a friend of a friend knowing another friend who has met a friend who knows a friend of yours. And it is nice to get someone helping and solving problems because of that.

Thank you, D.V.!

1 comment:

  1. And, when I met D.V., I realised I did know him already from the old working days in Rome! What a wonderful small art world...

    ReplyDelete